9 Tips for Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
Replacing your roof is a big decision. It goes without saying that you want the best roofing contractor for the job; but, how do you know what to look for? Most people will only replace a roof once in a lifetime. It’s a big investment, and you want to make sure you choose the right company. We’re here to help you do just that!
How do I choose the right roofing contractor?
In many cases, homeowners are looking for the bottom line in regards to replacing their roof, and that bottom line is, how much is it going to cost? Well, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. If you go with a roofing company that can give you a bargain price but can’t provide a list of happy customers, you’re probably going to end up with a substandard installation.
Here are 9 questions to ask before you hire a roof installation company:
1. How long have they been in business? You probably wouldn’t sign up for heart surgery with a doctor fresh out of school. So why pick a roofing contractor that doesn’t have a long track record of doing high-quality work? Unfortunately, fly-by-night contractors are notorious for disappearing to avoid paying damages, only to reopen months later under a new name. You can avoid falling victim to this type of unscrupulous contractor by working with a company that has years of experience and a solid reputation.
2. Double-check licensing and insurance Roofing is a dangerous job, which is why we never recommend homeowners take it on themselves. It’s important to have the right tools, materials and safety equipment. It’s also important to have experience. Reputable roofing contractors hold the requisite permits and licenses for every job they perform. A high-quality roofing company will also carry all required insurance for its workers, which will cover them in the event someone is hurt during your roof’s installation.
3. Look at past work For most businesses that provide a service, reputation is everything. In today's day and age-the internet is the consumer's go-to for research! 81% of consumers say they research online before they make a purchase.
Word of mouth is an age-old avenue as well. What do other homeowners have to say about the roofing contractor? Social media platforms make it easy to find others who have used the company you are looking at, that can tell you if they recommend them or not.
4. Price isn’t the only thing that matters There’s no reason why you should limit yourself to three estimates — or why you should go beyond one or two estimates when looking for a roofing contractor. Rather, you should spend time talking to potential roofing companies until you believe you’ve got all of the information you need to make an informed decision.
5. Get financing agreements in writing Every aspect of your roofing installation should be professionally documented, but it’s especially important to make sure you understand the financing terms. A good roofing company will appoint a knowledgeable employee to walk you through the contract and answer any questions you have about payment.
6. Ask what happens if you’re unsatisfied with the work No matter how carefully you plan a job, there is always a chance that something will go wrong. If an error happens, how will the company handle it? This is something you need to know in advance. Will you spend hours on the phone, trying to reach a representative? Will the company take your money and run?
7. Ask about unplanned repairs Unfortunately, unplanned repairs and emergencies are more often the rule rather than the exception when it comes to home improvement. As soon as you start knocking down walls or ripping out cabinets, you’re likely to find additional problems that need to be addressed. Roofs can work much the same way. In some cases, decking is rotten or damaged by moisture, or the crew discovers water damage that needs to be repaired before additional moisture makes its way inside a property. Ask your roofing contractor how it handles unexpected repairs. This way, even if you’re surprised, you know what to expect.
8. Will the roofing contractor tear off your old roof? Some roofing companies will install new shingles over an old roof. However, this is almost always a bad idea. First, it adds additional weight to a roof that is probably already aging and due for new decking. Second, it doesn’t address any underlying problems, such as damage concealed by old shingles.
At Royal Contracting Solutions, we will always tear off the old roof before replacing it. There is no need to slap a bandaid on your home. If you're getting the problem resolved, we want to be sure it's completely resolved!
9. Ask if the roofing contractor is an authorized installer Is the roofing contractor a preferred partner and authorized installer for the shingle manufacturer? This is an important consideration, as manufacturers won’t honor their warranties when a roof is installed by a non-authorized installer. This is what makes us so proud at Royal Contracting Solutions to be a Platinum Preferred Contractor with Owens Corning. This allows us to offer The Platinum Protection Roofing System Limited Warranty, which not only provides Owens Coming’s most comprehensive coverage, but also covers workmanship for life (as long as you own your home).
What is the best roofing company in Kansas City and beyond?
At Royal Contracting Solutions, we’ve been installing roofs and providing home remodeling services for homeowners in the Kansas City area for almost a decade. During this time, we’ve built a foundation of trust with homeowners on both the Missouri and Kansas sides. Chances are, we’ve installed a roof for someone in your neighborhood!
Get in touch with us today if you’d like to schedule a consultation or ask further questions about who we are and why we’re the best.